Peter James Mason
Peter is an international expert Senior Technology Consultant with a formidable track record in full software development lifecycle, Information Communications Systems Management and Senior Business Consulting. Peter is also founding director of UK company 'Sophisto' designing education and publishing software - and now a leading supplier to senior universities United Kingdom.
- ISEB Certificate in Project Management PRINCE 2
- MSP Certificate in Programme Management
- NCC Certificate in Systems Analysis and Design
- MSc Business Information Systems
- BSc Computer Science
Key Programmes and Experience:
- Account start up of major programmes with values over £50m.
- Programme management of all retained NHS systems; integration and supplier management, stakeholder management. Major business change management.
- Delivery of an Off Shore business as usual service and pipeline for a Government client, Off shore and new support arrangements for a petrochemical companies 6000 servers
- Delivery of IEG for Local Government, including CRM, portal services and BPR.
- Retail SAP system replacement in two Data Centres, mainframe to Unix.
- Business and Information Technology Strategy for Royal Mail to meet the organisations e-business objectives including e-products, CRM and the e-Government drivers.
- Provided consultancy and programme management to Royal Mail on the development of a series of web sites and portals, which provided new services to facilitate better customer interfaces between citizens and external bodies including Government. I was the programme manager of a £30m programme.
- Programme management of the delivery of a business re-brand for a household name
- Specification and delivery of an online authentication service
- Planning and Management of a National implementation of what was at the time the largest roll out of Lotus Notes in the UK. This included the delivery of training.
- Programme Manager for DSS Year 2000 project I managed 14 project managers and had responsibility for over 200 field staff in a £30m programme integrating the overall systems architecture. Budget responsibility for the programme.
- Led a review of the IS strategy and organisational structure of a major City Council as part of the Year 2000 project. I gained commitment from many previously autonomous departments in integrating their IT provision and led a change programme, which delivered an integrated IT service.
- Department of Health and the NHS Executive. I worked on a number of projects covering both hardware and application projects, from initiation to completion. Deliverables included. Scoping Studies, Business Cases, Technical Options, Requirements Specifications, facilitated workshops, Functional Specifications and completed systems on Client/Server, Unix and Mainframe platforms.
- Represented The Post Office on the CITU XML metadata steering committee to establish a definitive XML schema.
- Participated in discussions with the E-Envoy on architecture for UKonline, the Government portal. Worked with ICL and Microsoft to establish technical standards of architecture around XML, portal and on line verification.
- Gained expert knowledge leading a consultancy group advising the E-Envoy on data security for e-Government. Worked with Verisign, IR and Equifax
HP from April 2009 to present
Account Start Up Programme Manager for major programmes with values in excess of £50m. Ensuring that the programmes will deliver successfully on margin, delivery and benefits.
EDS – July 2006 to April 2009
- Programme Manager for an transition programme in the petrochemicals industry, with new support arrangements for 6000 servers from an off shore location.
- Programme Director of a major relocation of two data centres for a Financial Services company.
- Best Shore business as usual service set up, together with a pipeline of future work for a Government department.
- Programme manager migration of a mainframe production system running a multinational production system and development system onto a Unix platform, changing o/s and database.
- Restructuring of a Websphere portal supported by content management and CRM for a quasi governmental organisation.
National Programme for IT – Jan 2004 to July 2006
Existing Systems Programme manager, planning, systems integration and contractual and commercial negotiations with major suppliers. Supplier and account management, plus work to integrate this programme into the LSP’s and the other main sub programmes. Responsible for the management of the existing systems suppliers who are to interact with the National data spine. The work entails helping suppliers understand the overall aims and objectives of the national programme and constructing appropriate business strategies in response to the changed market. The defining how the systems will integrate to the NCRS and producing a longer term business and portfolio management plan.
Capula Ltd Nov 2002 – Dec 2003
Principle Consultant – Consultancy Services IEG, VoIP, Systems Integration, Health Care systems including EPR. Deployment of a SeeBeyond integration engine at an Acute Trust.
Work included the preparation of two bids for the development of County Councils e-Government portals, defining the technical approach and developing the cost models. CRM front and back office integration
Also worked with the Health division to design and deploy a SeeBeyond integration engine for use with Capula’s EPR product.
Royal Mail plc Sept 98 – Oct 2002
E-Government Web Portal Programme Manager, Broadvision CRM (Jan 01 Aug 02)
Leading the technical elements of the Royal Mail programme for their joint bid on the Governments e-portal and working with the XML standards board to define the schemas to support standard XML addressing.
E-Business Programme Manager (Feb 2000 to Dec 01)
Working on the programme management of a mixed internal and external development team to construct the Royal Mail web site and to integrate the project components of that programme into a BroadVision and Oracle based e-commerce portal.
- Consultant / Programme Manager (Sept 98 to Feb 2000)
- e-Government Strategy Consultant
- Work on the Post Offices moves to replace paper based and stand alone IT systems with e-commerce based web enabled customer focused systems.
- Re-brand of the Post Office.
- Responsible for the re-brand of all internal and external IT systems and web sites to the new corporate brand.
- Automated Helpdesk Project Manager
- Design, development and deployment of an automated internal help desk for the IT division.
- Implementation Programme Manager, POCL
- Included the design, training, deployment and implementation of POCL’s Lotus Notes e-mail which was at the time the largest Lotus Notes deployment in the UK. The work rationalized POCL e-mail to a corporate standard with the rest of the Post Office.
- Year 2000 Programme Manager, Post Office Counters Ltd
- Year 2000 compliance for all IT systems for POCL, one of the three large divisions of the Post Office.
Consultant Programme Manager – Sema UK Ltd
Work included the Year 2000 Programme for The Benefits Agency. I was the programme manager with 12 project managers and 200 technical staff, carrying out the evaluation, update and replacement of the Benefits Agency’s IT hardware and software.
Senior Project Manager – Leeds City Council
Change management work to integrate the IT provision across the Councils major divisions. I later led the Year 2000 project for the Council
Senior Project Manager – Dept of Health
Large number of projects including the first major MIS installation in DoH and experience of working on a number of projects in parallel. Formal training and extensive experience in producing scoping studies, business cases and options papers.
Systems Analyst – Benefits Agency
Programme Analyst – Benefits Agency